About the Croft
Before the 1840’s there were some eleven townships in the south Ross of Mull. Some five townships suffered the effects of rapid eviction – Kilvicuen, Knocknafenaig, Tireregan, Shiaba and Ardalanish. Those displaced were not expelled from the Argyll Estate but removed from the fertile districts of the south Ross of Mull to poorer lands to the north around Ardtun. The remaining six townships lingered on beyond 1860 but by the later 20th century they were all abandoned due to the process of ‘voluntary’ migration from the later nineteenth century. Among these abandoned was the township of Ardchiavaig which in 1841 had 30 households and by 1871 had reduced to 22 but now lies abandoned. This township lies at the heart of the Muddy Puddles Croft.
The Ross of Mull is a sparsely populated place with an economy that's surprisingly resilient, despite being in one of the most beautiful landscapes on earth. The Croft itself can be found at Uisken (parts if it actually stretch to 270 acres) and looks out onto Jura, Islay and Colonsay from its southeast corner, as well as Bunessan Road which bisects this fortunate piece of land.